Dozens of artists — including Pat DiNizio of The Smithereens, Disappear Fear, Guy Davis, Badly Drawn Boy, Cats on a Smooth Surface, Jen Chapin, Greg Trooper, Will Lee and Anton Fig, Anthony D’Amato and former BoDeans member Sam Llanas — have been added to the Light of Day festival, taking place at various venues in Asbury Park, Montclair, Burlington and New York City (though mostly in Asbury Park), Jan. 9-19.
Founded by artist manager Bob Benjamin of Highland Park, who suffers from Parkinson’s Disease, Light of Day has raised about $2.5 million for research about Parkinson’s Disease and related illnesses in its first 14 years.
Look below for the complete schedule, as it stands now, though there will be more additions.
In other Light of Day news:
• While the main, Jan. 17 concert at the Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park is sold out, a pair of tickets to the entire festival, including that show, are being auctioned off at charitybuzz.com, with the money going to Light of Day’s cause.
• Also at charitybuzz.com, veteran rock photographer Mark Weiss is auctioning off 35 signed classic-rock photos for Light of Day, including ones of Southside Johnny, Axl Rose, Debbie Harry, Steven Tyler, Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne. The auction ends Jan. 8, and will be followed, starting Jan. 9, with a two-week auction of two “Light of Day” movie posters signed by Bruce Springsteen, Joan Jett and Michael J. Fox — Springsteen wrote the song “Light of Day” for the 1987 movie, which co-starred Jett and Fox — plus photos of Jett, Springsteen and previous Light of Day performers such as Gary U.S. Bonds, Willie Nile, John Eddie and Garland Jeffreys.
• And from Jan. 9 to March 1 at the Where Music Lives Exhibit and Performance Center in Asbury Park, photographer John Cavanaugh will present a new exhibit of his photos from past Light of Day concerts.
Here is this year’s Light of Day schedule. Venues are in Asbury Park unless noted.
• Light of Day: South Jersey show at Hebe Music Lounge at Big Shots Bar and Grill, Burlington. Ben Arnold, John Easdale, Joe D’Urso & Stone Caravan, Stone Baby, Soraia, Nytrous.
• Light of Day: North Jersey show at the Outpost in the Burbs in Montclair. “Songwriters Circle” with Willie Nile, Garland Jeffreys, James Maddock, Steve Conte and Joe D’Urso.
• Cover Me — Best of the Jersey Bar Bands at Stone Pony. With Cats on a Smooth Surface (featuring Glen Burtnik, Joel Krauss, Harry Filkin, Peter Schulle, Vinny Daniele, Stiff Reed, Brian Wiley, Tommy Labella, Joe Bellia, Dave Nunez and others), Joey and the Works, Holme, The Nerds, So Watt, Brian Kirk and the Jirks, the Edgar Casey Band, JoBonanno and the Godsons of Souls, the Eddie Testa Band, Sleigh Bells’ Alexis Krauss.
• Happy Mondays at Wonder Bar. With Thomas Wesley Stern, the Villanelles, Those Mockingbirds.
• Guitar Night at the Cutting Room, New York. With Will Lee and Anton Fig, John Tropea, Oz Noy, Jon Herrington, Leon Pendarvis, Marc Shulman, Steve Conte.
• Light of Day: New York at the Cutting Room. With Suzanne Vega, John Easdale, John Eddie and His Dirty Ol’ Band, Joe D’Urso and Stone Caravan, Greg Trooper.
• First Note at The Saint. With Aaron Freeman of Ween.
• Rockin’ Bowl-a-Thon at Asbury Lanes. Bowl with “Sopranos” actors Vincent Pastore, Al Sapienza, Dan Grimaldi, Lou Martini, Jr. Vince Curatola, Artie Pasquale, Anthony Ribustello and Jason Cerbone, with music by the James Maddock Band, Joe D’Urso and Stone Caravan, Big Pussy’s Gangster Squad (with Killer Joe, HANKANDBEZZY, Mike Rocket.
• Pat DiNizio at Asbury Yacht Club.
• Sandy Mack’s Wonder Jam Deluxe at Wonder Bar. With The Hive-Mind, Turtle Soup, Karmic Juggernaut, Mack & Friends (featuring Ronnie Penque and Mark Diomede of the Juggling Suns Project), Dead Bank, Joe Miller & Sam Sims, Joshua Mark, Strumberry Pie, Poppa John.
• Blue Records Showcase at Langosta Lounge. With Jessica Leigh, Natalie Zeller, Ice House Gallery, The Trusties, Flammable Animals, Blue Hawks Jam Session.
• Asbury Angels at the Stone Pony, honoring members of the Asbury Park music community. Performers will include Boccigalupe and the Bad Boys, James Maddock, Willie Nile Band, Bruce Tunkel, The Weeklings (featuring Glen Burtnik), Laura Crisci, Steve Conte’s NYC, Frank Toner, Milly, Frank Get, Bobby Mahoney’s Seventh Son, John Strada, Ten Ton Mojo, Cesare Carugi/Daniele Tenca, The Fireplaces.
• Langosta Live at Langosta Lounge. With Slim Chance and The Gamblers.
• Rob Dye and Cook Smith’s Open Mic at Wonder Bar. Featured band: Lost Romance.
• “Anything, Anything,” hosted by Rich Russo, at Asbury Lanes. With John Easdale and Peter Wood of Dramarama, Wesley Stace (aka John Wesley Harding) and The English UK, Remember Jones, Lieder, Karen Mansfield, Glycerine Queens.
• Rock Heavy at The Saint. With Mark Cusa and the Naturals, Geena and Dragster, Judgement, Ronin, Common Wealth.
• Classic Country at Tim McLoone’s Supper Club. With Carter Calvert’s Tribute to Patsy Cline and Michael Patrick’s Ring of Fire Band – A Tribute to Johnny Cash.
• Main Event at Paramount Theatre. With LaBamba’s Big Band (featuring Southside Johnny and Gary U.S. Bonds), Joe Grushecky and the Houserockers, Willie Nile, Pat DiNizio, Garland Jeffreys, John Eddie and His Big Ol’ Band, Joe D’Urso and Stone Caravan, James Maddock Band, Guy Davis, Sam Llanas (formerly of the Bodeans), Dawg Whistle (featuring Vini Lopez and Paul Whistler), John Easdale and Peter Wood, Williams Honor, Billy Hector, Christine Martucci, Rob Dye.
• Langosta Live at Langosta Lounge. Stringbean’s Roots Reggae Jam.
• Asbury Blues, noon at Wonder Bar. With Upstage Jam Band, Gary Wright, The Tangiers Blues Band, James Dalton, Pam McCoy (featuring Jefferson Starship’s Slick Aguilar), Stringbean, the Billy Walton Band, Guadagno/Blackwell, Stormin’ Norman’s ASB, Mary McCrink, RB3, Ronnie Brandt, Cigar Box Stompers.
• Full Tilt Boogie Bash at Wonder Bar. With The Bob Polding Band, The Billy Hector Band, The Christine Martucci Band, HP and the Hot Takeout Band, Sharon Lasher, The Matt O’Ree Band.
• Kids and Family, 12:30 p.m. at Tim McLoone’s Supper Club. With Mr. Ray (with Layonne Holmes and the Little Sunshine Kids), Yosi, Miss Sherri and the Little Animal Band, Leslie Miller (face painting throughout the show).
• Marc Ribler’s Soultown Revue, 7 p.m. at Tim McLoone’s Supper Club.
• Women of Song, noon at The Saint. With Rosemary Conte, Courtney McManus, April Kelly, Jo Wymer, Beth Ann Clayton, Maxine Snow and the Snow Project.
• Light of Day: Rock, 7 p.m. at The Saint. With Disappear Fear, Keith Monacchio and the Dust Up Troubadours, The Way Out, Autumn City, Hallowed Roots, Casino Sundae, Ghostdog.
• Light of Day: Indie at Asbury Lanes. With Metalachi, Somewhat Relative.
• Songwriters by the Sea Boardwalk Crawl at Tim McLoone’s Supper Club. With Sam Llanas (formerly of the Bodeans), Peter Elkas, Guy Davis, Badly Drawn Boy, Joe D’Urso, Joe Grushecky, John Eddie, James Maddock, Joe Rapolla, Paul Whistler, Emily Grove, Quincy Mumford, Miss Emily.
• Songwriters by the Sea Boardwalk Crawl at Langosta Lounge. With Pat Guadagno, Serena Pyne and Nick Lesyk, James Dalton, Sunday Blues, Lisa Bouchelle, Superfriends.
• Songwriters by the Sea Boardwalk Crawl at Watermark. With Jen Chapin, Anthony D’Amato, Arlon Bennett, Johnny Duk, Hans Ludvigsson.
• Kids’ Rock at Stone Pony. With Mildly Medicated, Flowers to Flames, The Catching, Catalyst and No Reason, Mikey Butler, Jake Tavill Band, Noah’s Arc, Crimson Sky, Rachel Knecht, Taylor Tote Band, This New Day, The Machines, Pair of Dolls, Stone Bullets, Victoria Quartararo, Radio Active, Ashley Cucchiara, Rockit Live (performing Paul McCartney’s “Band on the Run”), Sofia Nicole.
• Musicians on a Mission, noon at The Saint. With Caroline Reese and the Drifting Fifth, Thomas Wesley Stern, Glimmer Grass Band, Cranston Dean, Matt Scuteri and Jive Stewards.
• Last Note at The Saint. With the Matt Wade Band, Stolen Rhodes, The Ripples, Quincy Mumford.
• Goodbye Brunch at Toast.