Photographer and musician Danny Clinch has figured out a clever way to showcase both his own photos and New Jersey performers. His weekly “Locals and Icons” online series features musicians talking about one of his photos of a prominent artist, and then performing one of those artists’ songs.
The interviews — featuring Cranston Dean, Rachel Ana Dobken, Deseree Spinks and more, talking about and playing songs of Bruce Springsteen, Blind Melon, Erykah Badu and other artists Clinch has worked with — have been filmed at Clinch’s Transparent Clinch Gallery in Asbury Park. The artists have been filmed performed acoustically there, though when Clinch’s own Tangiers Blues Band was featured, in Episodes 7 and 8 (playing songs of Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash), the performances were at the nearby Wonder Bar.
1. Rachel Ana Dobken: Blind Melon’s “Mouthful of Cavities”
2. The Mercury Brothers’ Dan Apy and Dave Apy: Temple of the Dog’s “Hunger Strike”
3. Tara Dente and Nicole Scorsone: Radiohead’s “The Tourist”
4. Pamela Flores: Hurray for the Riff Raff’s “Pa’lante”
5. Deseree Spinks: Erykah Badu’s “Bag Lady”
6. Cranston Dean: Bruce Springsteen’s “Blinded by the Light”
7. Tangiers Blues Band: Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues”
8. Tangiers Blues Band: Bob Dylan’s “Rainy Day Women #12 & 35”
9. Tangiers Blues Band: The Beastie Boys’ “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party!)” plus bonus performance footage
CONTRIBUTE TO NJARTS.NET
Since launching in September 2014, NJArts.net, a 501(c)(3) organization, has become one of the most important media outlets for the Garden State arts scene. And it has always offered its content without a subscription fee, or a paywall. Its continued existence depends on support from members of that scene, and the state’s arts lovers. Please consider making a contribution of $20, or any other amount, to NJArts.net via PayPal, or by sending a check made out to NJArts.net to 11 Skytop Terrace, Montclair, NJ 07043.