Dear Bruce Springsteen:
Hey, how’s it going? I’ve been enjoying your “From My Home to Yours” DJ shows on SiriusXM satellite radio. I realize you probably don’t need any help coming up with ideas for future shows, but here are 10 ideas, just in case you’re ever stuck.
1. E Street Band. The most obvious one, of course, and one that I’m sure already has occurred to you. But since I may post this letter on my web site, NJArts.net (check it out if you’ve got a free moment!), I’ll include it here. I know you’ve already had Stevie Van Zandt and Patti Scialfa on the show, but any other band members, past or present, would make good guests as well. You could have them all on at once, or invite them individually, or in small groups. But please, make it happen!
2. Other Musicians. Billy Joel. Elvis Costello. John Fogerty. Jackson Browne. A million others, too. How great would it be to hear any of them with you on the radio, swapping stories and spinning records.
3. Joe Grushecky. Sure, I could have mentioned him under “other musicians.” But I thought he deserved his own entry, given his long history with you and your many collaborations.
4. New Bob Dylans. Bet you didn’t think of this one yet! How about a show devoted to the music of all the singer-songwriters who got hyped, like you, as “new Bob Dylans” in the ’70s and ’80s. Loudon Wainwright III, John Prine, Willie Nile, Steve Forbert, Elliott Murphy, etc. Could be interesting, and draw some attention to musicians I know you admire.
5. Beatles and Stones. You could talk about their influence on you, play your favorite songs, and share stories about meeting and playing with various band members.
6. Elvis Presley. According to your “Born to Run” book, he’s your most primal musical influence. How fun would it be to take a deep dive into his music, and let people listen as you do it?
7. John Hammond. Another unusual idea I offer to you, free of charge! You could talk about the legendary Columbia Records executive who discovered you, and play the music of other artists he signed and/or championed: Bob Dylan, Billie Holiday, Count Basie, Robert Johnson, Aretha Franklin, Leonard Cohen, Stevie Ray Vaughan …
8. Springsteen Covers. Play your favorite cover versions of your own songs, and talk about them. I think this may be my best idea yet!
9. Desert Island Discs. Not the most original idea, I know. But it would still be great.
10. Christmas Songs. If the series lasts into December, why not?
Sincerely yours, and you’re welcome,
CONTRIBUTE TO NJARTS.NET
Since launching in September 2014, NJArts.net has become one of the most important media outlets for the Garden State arts scene. And it has always offered its content without a subscription fee, or a paywall. Its continued existence, though, depends on support from members of that scene, and the state’s arts lovers. Please consider making a contribution of $10, or any other amount, to NJArts.net via PayPal, or by sending a check made out to NJ Arts Daily to 11 Skytop Terrace, Montclair, NJ 07043.